You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘making’ tag.

I finished up the mud flaps and attached them earlier today. I’m pretty happy with how they turned out.

 

I also put in some new locking skewers and seat clamps on both Stella and Dark Star. Now I won’t have to worry about my wheels when I’m out and about. The new winter bike also got fenders, so no skunk tail for me! #teamfenders

I’m making some mud flaps for my friend. She saw the ones I made on Instagram and I would certainly benefit from her having them ;) We rode to Capitol Hill together for a birthday celebration and I came home splattered. Luckily it was after the party.

img_20190525_182642

I decided to make the colors a little bolder on this set. This is before conditioning. More to come.

Advertisements

My friend noted that my bike was spitting at him. I’d totally forgotten that my fenders have no mud flaps anymore. The rubbery ones that came with the fenders had come loose and I’d removed them because they were rubbing on my tires. Time for new mud flaps! Just in time for the drought.

I decided I wanted to make them. I’d made from plastic before, but they didn’t last very well and don’t look especially nice after a few rides. I decided I wanted leather for Stella. She’s a good looking bike and deserves nice looking mud flaps. My roommate had leather that he hadn’t used, and he gave me a good chunk of it. I made a stencil of the shape and size I wanted and cut the leather with heavy shears.

I could have either stained the leather, or just conditioned it and it would have looked great. As I was looking up staining, I realized I’d have to go shopping, and I thought about the permanent markers taking up space in my room. I don’t use them often because the colors bleed on most paper, but they’d be great for this project!

img_20190522_090540

They are raw cow leather with a snake skin print, which I used to inspire my artwork. I let the ink sit overnight, although it probably wasn’t necessary. Next, I used Kiwi Mink Oil (which I’ve had for years and use on my waterproof leather boots) to condition them. I found that the oil wasn’t absorbing, and on the advice of my roommate, I put them in the oven for just a couple of minutes at around 175°F. That soaked the oil right in and I did that 2 more times. Again, I let it sit overnight.

img_20190523_072952

The oil did darken the leather, which I expected. I now kind of wish I’d used darker colors. Next time! These are still super cool and I think I could take a better photo of them when the sun is higher.

On Friday, I plan to drill holes in my fender to accommodate these and use some rivets that I have from another project to attach them. I may have to go get some that are longer, which wouldn’t be the end of the world because then I could get some that will match the bike better. The rivets that I have are bronze and everything on my bike is stainless or black.

All this is distracting me nicely from thinking about the biopsy I’m not able to get until early June. My doctor feels confident that the lump is benign, but we still have to check.

 

Advertisements